Yarn: worsted weight cotton yarn, approx. 500 yards of Color A and 250 yards of Color B
Tools: 10″ 5.0mm afghan hook, 5.0mm crochet hook, tapestry needle, scissors
Skill Level: Intermediate
Stitches: (sc)single crochet, (ch)chain, (hdc)half-double crochet, (tss)tunisian simple stitch
First some notes on Tunisian Crochet:
*One row is worked in two “passes”: forward pass and return pass.*
*The work is never turned during the Tunisian simple stitch.*
*After completing your “return pass/standard return”, it will look like there is a little empty space or “window” between the vertical bars. This is how it is supposed to look.*
The main portion of the apron is worked in Color A in the Tunisian Simple Stitch.
The Waistband, Ties, and Ruffled Edging are worked in Color B using regular crochet techniques.
The Tunisian Simple Stitch (Complete with Color A and Afghan Hook)
Foundation Row Forward
1. Chain the number of stitches indicated in the pattern (50 chains).
2. Insert hook into 2nd chain from the hook. Yo, pull up a loop. There is now two looks on your afghan hook.
3. Insert the hook into the next chain. Yo, pull up a loop. Each stitch is going to be one more loop on your hook.
4. Continue Step #3 until the end of your chain.
Foundation Row Return (This is a standard return.)
1. Yo, pull through one loop.
2. Yo, pull through two loops
3. Repeat Step #2 until the end until there is only one loop remaining on your hook. Now you’re ready to get the Tunisian Simple Stitch going! When you look at the finished stitches of your foundation row you will see vertical bars for every stitch you created. These bars are what you will be working into as you complete the Forward Pass.
1. Skip over the first vertical bar that is located on the far right.
2. Insert the hook from right to left through the second vertical bar. You are going to keep the hook in front of your work. Next, Yo, pull up a loop through the vertical bar. You will now have two loops on your hook.
3. Repeat Step #2 in each stitch across and end at the second to last vertical bar.
4. Now, to complete the final stitch of the forward pass identify the final vertical bar on the far left and the horizontal thread that runs behind it. Insert the hook through both this vertical bar and horizontal thread (this will make the left side of your work nice and sturdy). Yo, pull up a loop.
Return Pass (This is a standard return, same as you did for the foundation row return.)
1. Yo, pull through one loop.
2. Yo, pull through two loops.
3. Repeat Step #2 until the end until there is only one loop remaining on your hook. You have just completed two rows of the Tunisian Simple Stitch! For this particular pattern you want to have a total of 50 rows. So, complete the Forward Pass and Return Pass 48 more times. Finish off, and move on to the Waistband portion of the pattern.
Waistband (From here on out: Complete with Color B and regular crochet hook)
Row 1: Join with sc in 1st “window” of last row of Tunisian crochet. Sc in each “window” across. Turn. (49 sc)
Row 2: Ch.1, sc in each sc across. Turn. (49 sc)
Row 3-6: Repeat Row 2 three more times.
Row 7: Ch.2, *sk nxt sc, hdc in nxt sc, hdc in previously skipped sc* repeat from * to 2nd from last sc. Hdc in last sc. Turn.
Row 8: Ch.2, *sk nxt hdc, hdc in nxt hdc, hdc in previously skipped hdc* repeat from * to end. Hdc in top of turning chain (the “ch.2” of the previous row). Turn.
Row 9: Ch.1, sc in each hdc across and in top of turning chain (the “ch.2” of the previous row). Turn. (49 sc)
Row 10: Ch.1, sc in each sc across. Turn. (49 sc)
Row 11: Repeat Row 10 three more times. Do not finish off. Continue with Row 1 of “Ties”.
Row 1: Ch.1, 5 sc down side of waistband. Turn. (5 sc)
Row 2: Ch.1, sc in each sc across. Turn. (5 sc)
Row 3-18: Repeat Row 2 fifteen more times.
Row 19: Ch.1, sc decrease over next two st., sc in remaining 3 sc. Turn. (4 sc)
Row 20: Ch.1, sc in each sc across. Turn. (4 sc)
Row 21: Ch.1, sc in next 2 sc, sc decrease over last 2 sc. Turn. (3 sc)
Row 22: Ch.1, sc in each sc across. Turn. (3 sc)
Row 23-58: Repeat Row 22 thirty-five more times.
Row 59: Ch.1, sc decrease over 1st 2 st., sc in last st. Turn. (2 sc)
Row 60: Ch.1 sc decrease over 2 remaining st., ch. 50. Fasten off.
Complete Rows 1 through 60 of “Ties” on other side of waistband.
Row 1: Join with sc in and end “window” of the Tunisian color A piece right below the waistband. Sc evenly down one side, 3 sc in corner, sc evenly across bottom, 3 sc in corner, sc evenly on other side. Turn. (152 sc)
Row 2: Ch.1, sc in each sc down to the corner 3sc group, 3 sc in the center sc of that group. Sc in each sc across bottom to the nxt corner 3sc group, 3 sc in center sc of that group. Sc in each sc across nxt side. Turn. (156 sc)
Row 3: Ch.1, *sc in nxt 3sc, 2 sc in nxt sc* repeat from * down the side, across the bottom and up to the end. Turn.
Row 4: Ch.1, *2 sc in nxt 2 sc, sc in nxt 3sc* repeat from * down the side, across the bottom and up to the end. Turn.
Row 5: Ch1, *sc in nxt 3sc, 2 sct in nxt 4sc* repeat from * down the side, across the bottom and up to the end. Turn.
Row 6: Ch.1, *2 sc in nxt 8sc, sc in nxt 3sc* repeat from * down the side, across the bottom and up to the end.
Finish off. Weave in ends.